John Stow’s Elizabethan classic, A Survey of London, was first published in 1598. Stow was a chronicler and antiquary who transcribed manscripts and inscriptions relating to English history, literature and archaelogy, but his Survey is perhaps his most famous work, with its evocative ‘perambulation’ of the streets of the Tudor capital, which forms the main framework of the book.
In the century following Stow’s death, however, the Tudor capital so lovingly depicted and recorded in Stow’s Survey was dramatically transformed. The huge growth of the metropolis, the devastation wrought by the Great Fire of 1666 and the subsequent rebuilding of the City made an updating of the Survey highly desirable. It was to answer this need that John Strype, the ecclesiastical historian and biographer, published a new, hugely expanded version of Stow’s Survey of London in 1720.
Funded by the Leverhulme Trust, the project has produced a full-text electronic version of John Strype’s enormous two-volume edition of 1720, complete with its celebrated maps and plates, which depict the prominent buildings, street plans and ward boundaries of the late Stuart capital.